Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Some interesting facts I found out

Well well well, these 2 days were one of the most interesting days of my NUS life. Some facts that I've found out from my lecturers...

GEK1042 Intellectual Property in Cyberspace


  1. Singapore law does not rule by omission, i.e, u will not be guilty of a crime if u don't do sth. For eg, u're not legally bound to safe someone drowning in the water
  2. However if u decided to jump into the water & safe the drowning person, u're liable for his safety, i.e, he can sue u if he gets injured during the process of u saving him. Does this reminds u of Mr. Incredible? =D
  3. When a defendant confesses to his lawyer that he is guilty of some crime, the lawyer is SUPPOSED to encourage his client to plead guilty & he will try to help his client get a lighter sentence. I wonder how many lawyers do that.
  4. Do u know that there is a Common Law Action of Breach of Confidence (aka the law for disclosing of secrets)? Let's say 'A' tells u sth & told u that it's a secret. U can be sued by A if he finds out that u tell it to some1 else, say 'B'. However, the law will not protect "trivial tittle-tattle", so that ppl like Mervyn will not get sued easily, =P.
  5. With regards to pt 4, let's say u told 'B' some secrets in exchange for some benefits. 'B' can also be sued if "any reasonable man standing in the shoes of the recipient of the information would have realised that upon reasonable grounds the information was being given to him in confidence", as quoted from my lect notes. Simply means if some1 else who is reasonable, is to stand in the shoes of 'B' & realised that upon reasonable grounds, the information told to'B' by u is confidential. Sounds cheem? I think so too
  6. With regards to combination of pt 3 & 4, let's say the lawyer decided that he has been doing too many morally wrong-doings & wanted to tell the police that his client is guilty, u might be thinking that the lawyer is guilty of breaching confidence. But, there's another law which is "The Defence of Public Interest": "If the confidential information relates to some misconduct which is of such a nature that it is in the public interest that the misconduct be disclosed, the information will NOT be protected." This law of defence can only be used as a "shield" & not a "sword"

Actually this module is very interesting, there's more to say but these shld be the more interesting stuffs liao, heh.



CE2112 Soil Mechanics

Dr. Chew's module, he's our favourite lecturer! =D Some interesting facts on earthquakes

  1. In olden days, different civilisation have different beliefs on what causes earthquakes. Japan: Catfish, Chinese: Ox, Mongolia: Frog, Red Indians (in N.America): Tortoise. Er... the animals shld be gigantic ba, haha
  2. Have u wondered why sometimes different countries report different magnitudes of a particular earthquake? Cos diff. seismic centers have diff. distance from the epicentre. And the definition of Ritcher Magnitude Scale is: maximum amplitude of the P & S waves at a distance of 100km away from the epicentre. (If u dunno wat is P & S waves, juz need to know that P & S waves are waves) So u juz havta estimate the Ritcher Magnitude from the readings u get.
  3. The increase in 1 Ritcher Magnitude (eg: from 3 to 4) is equivalent to the increase of 10 times in energy.
  4. The recent earthquake in Sumatra released energy more than that of a nuclear bomb



Quite interesting rite? Heh. N I did the 1st lab of my Sem4 yesterday. It was testing out the strength of a concrete 2m long. It was quite interesting, but then boring for the report part cos the tutor & the lab assistants did everything for us since we haven't touched on this topic yet. Aiyoh...

Went Orchard with Aimei today to repair my X430 (the keypad was insensitive liao...) The lady sounded very surprised when she saw that the date on the warranty card was 1st Dec 2003. Hee. Anyway, I bought this phone in Apr 03 but the dealer din write any date, he juz stamped his company chop. So I zhuan dao! =D The phone should be ok by tml. M1 sent me a letter of offer for Nokia 7260 @ $208 if I extend my contract for another 2 years. Good offer lei, budden it doesn't have the MP3 ringtone fxn. Decided to give it to my sis since tt's her dream phone for the moment & her 7250i has some keypad problems... Seems like it's not only MY problem, my sis has keypad problems too! =D Aft that we went shopping ard & I saw this pair of shoes similar to ballet shoes, fits my feet well (cos it makes my feet look smaller! Hehe) but they only had size 37 & 39 left, when I wanted 38... ='( Shall go ard hunting for tt pair of shoes, hee.

Anyway, replaced my chatterboard with DoodleBoard, quite cool!! Got lotsa smileys. Thanx to Nick for informing me of him changin his blog address. Ok, I shall go sleep now, it's 12am liao. If not my parents will nag me...

2 comments:

Nick said...

Hey, I'm not at http://nkxt.wstp.net

Both are the same.. jus that I wanna do external publishing so dun have the irritating ad bar.. hehe

Nick said...

oops.... still got bar haha