Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Please don't fall for the Hong Kong scam / JB scam

I got an unknown call (my caller ID couldn't detect the number) on 4th Aug, when I was walking to the Nike warehouse sale near Kovan.

I roughly could hear that she is not a local HKian, because her Mandarin was too perfect for a HKian. I was quite suspicious of what is happening but since I have free incoming, I continued anyway. She claimed that she is from XXX company (I cannot rmb the company's name) and that the company is involved in the building of the IR in Singapore and asked me for opinions on the IR. She then continued saying that they are going to have a festival in HK & Stef Sun was invited blah blah & that the show will be on TV. I quite ignored it cos I wasn't interested.

She asked me to leave my name, and when I said I'm Eva, she asked me for my Chinese name, which she heard wrongly as Lin Yan instead of Lin Ming Yan. Then she gave me a chain of numbers, telling me that it's my lucky draw number and told me to watch TV on a particular day.

The lady was very polite throughout the whole survey & she spoke very fast, it's like reading from a script. I really ignored everything she said cos I wasn't interested. And I was quite irritated because the call lags by 2 seconds, so whenever I reply her, she only reply 2 seconds later.

A few days later the same company called me again, at an obviously noisy place, and she started with a lot of "hello"s, like trying to act as if she can't hear my properly. Then she said something like the festival is happening and asked me if I'm watching the TV. I told the person I'm working and not watching. Can't really remember if there was anything that she said. Come to think of it, why the hell is the festival happening IN THE AFTERNOON?! -_-

Early last week, they called me again and I got really pissed, because they called during my working hours again and the call is freaking laggy! So I just said, "Can you all stop calling me?! U've already called me a few times!" She apologised and hanged up the phone.

The weird thing is...

I received another unknown call again, late last week. This time round they called to ask regarding (if I nv rmb wrongly) about education level. And they claimed that they are from this electronic company in JB, which I rmb as wei1 pu3. As usual I helped with the survey, but I didn't think that the previous HK survey is related to this. At the end of the call, she asked me for my name and as usual, and she also heard as Lin Yan. I repeated that my name is Lin Ming Yan, and she repeated after me. She then said I've a chance to join their lucky draw after I helped them with the survey. I didn't really take note of it also and hang up the phone.

Here comes the latest news.

The "JB company" called me again TODAY. She asked me if I'm Lin Yan. I was busy with work so I just said yes. Then she told me that I've won the 3rd prize for their lucky draw and asked me if I can make it by 6pm to this *&^%$#@ shopping centre in JB. I was like, "Huh? I'm in Singapore..." And she said one of her company's person will call again.

Just now I was telling my parents bout the weird JB company, and my father told me it's most prob a scam cos some HK scam just appeared in the papers My sister then went,"Huh? They called you one, they don't know you're in Singapore meh, rubbish..." Then it striked me, didn't really notice that cos I was working, and now everything seems to link....

Because they called me and I just flared up @ em, so now they use another company's name and call me! That is why the "JB company" kept my name is Lin Yan. How dumb...

Anyway, I bet the "JB company" will call again, then I shall ask what my sister asked me about. =P

Anyway then I went to look at local news for the article that my father was talking about, cos he couldn't find the article in the newspapers. Then I found this on zaobao.com, dated 17th Aug... http://www.zaobao.com/special/newspapers/2007/08/xmrb070817c.html. Exactly leh! The article mentioned that they also use Stef Sun!!

Anyway ppl, just be careful lah. In case kena scam. At least now you all know the warnings is not fake.

1 comment:

chillycraps said...

wah lao that day at arts canteen i also received a survey call... i told the person i'm having lesson but she still persisted, but i too softhearted to hang up so... i gave her fake details.

Nowadays I always give fake details like name and address. Got one time I gave fake name but real office number and they really called to pester!